Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I have a surgery date!

My surgery date is set for July 16th, just over 8 weeks since my injury. The doctor told me the most important thing now is to build up my quads. I have had a lot of muscle atrophy in my quad and my calf. It is striking how much my right calf muscle has shrunk. Compared to my left, it looks like somebody deflated me with a pin!

I have decided to go with a patellar graft after much research. The thing that has been really scaring me is the notion that I would have pain in my knee while kneeling for the rest of my life. My doctor told me that regardless of the type of graft I have, there is the possibility of kneeling pain because there will be a scar there. That being the case, I decided to go with the "gold standard" graft.

I was going to use this "down time" to work on strengthening my upper body and my core, but there really hasn't been any "down time" at all. I am spending so much time exercising and stretching my knee/quads that I just don't have any more time to work on anything else.

I miss tumbling terribly, but I have continued to do handstands and some light bar work. I am coaching and just being in the gym is helping me mentally. I will work until the surgery date, then I will take off until the fall session starts up again in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment