Saturday, July 17, 2010

Surgery

Yesterday was my surgery and it went very well. I got to the hospital and they brought me back right away and started the IV. It was the easiest one I've ever had. Instead of the hand, she put it in my forearm and it was much more comfortable there. Took all my vitals and then sent me back to meet with the anesthesiologist. I thought I was going to be put under before the femoral block, but that turned out not to be the case. They like for patients to be awake for the block to make sure it works properly. Being nervous about this, he gave me this wonderful sedative. It took about 15 seconds to work and felt like I just drank a couple glasses of wine.

The injection didn't hurt any more than getting the IV did even though the needle went into a pretty sensitive area - just at the groin. After the injection, my leg started to spasm. My leg went numb almost instantly from the groin to just below the knee. I would up waiting there for a while, I think about 45 minutes. I didn't mind at all. I think I was feeling really good from the sedative and I remember playing with my fingers. The nurse came by and rolled me into OR5 for surgery. I was out for the count a few minutes later and woke up with my new knee. Upon waking up I was violently trembling from the anesthesia. They gave me something to stop that and it worked immediately. I was feeling alert within 15 minutes or so. The only pain I had was in my ankle. The nurse said that the pain was radiating down my leg but I couldn't feel it in my knee because of the block. It wasn't great pain, more of a pressure. It went away on its own in about 45 minutes.

After eating some crackers and drinking water, I met with the doctor. The reconstruction went perfectly. However, there was some bad news. I did some damage to my cartilage. It's called articular cartilage damage and it can happen with an injury like mine, or over time. The cartilage is supposed to be smooth like a lightbulb. Mine was more like a head of broccoli. The doctor smoothed it out the best he can, but it will most likely lead to osteoarthritis in the future.



I am about 16 hours out from my surgery now. I have no pain whatsoever. Of course, the block is still in place. I took two or three percocet to make sure I stayed on top of any pain, but as of now I haven't really felt any. It will probably be a different story in a few hours.

The doctor wrapped my leg in a huge bandage and my knee is very well protected. I have my brace on set at full lock. Everything will stay like this until tomorrow when I will take the brace and bandage off and start bending my knee and take a shower. I haven't seen my knee yet. The doctor said all the stitches are under the skin and there are steri-strips on the outside. He used some sort of plastic screws that will fully dissolve in around 18 months.

My first PT appointment is on Tuesday.

All for now.

Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment